Coverage 32054km
Towns Visited 353
Projects 152
Hospitality Partners 405
CSR 116500ZAR
Next Trip 14 April 2018






Top Enviro Stuff

Top Facts about Energy

11 Facts About Energy

  1. Over 70% of electricity in the U.S. is generated from non-renewable sources.
  2. Coal is used to generate almost half of the electricity produced in the U.S. When coal is burned as fuel, it gives off carbon dioxide, the main greenhouse gas linked to global warming.
  3. About 30% of the energy used in commercial and industrial buildings is used inefficiently or unnecessarily. 
  4. If the energy efficiency of commercial and industrial buildings improved by 10%, it would equal a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions equal to taking 30 million cars off the road.
  5. More than 25% of energy consumption in homes goes to lighting.
  6. Only about 10% of the energy used by a bulb creates light, the other 90% creates heat.
  7. If you replace 25% of your light bulbs with fluorescents, you can save about 20% on your lighting bill.
  8. Home refrigerators in the U.S. use the same amount of electricity as 25 large power plants every year.
  9. Around 80% of the energy used to wash clothes comes from heating the water. Using warm or cool water will save energy and get clothes just as clean.
  10. Stopping air leaks around the house, can save you as much as 10% on heat and air conditioning costs.
  11. Many electronics use energy even when turned off to keep display clocks lit and remote controls working.

Source: http://www.dosomething.org/

    Top Facts about E-Waste

    11 Facts About E-Waste

    1. The nation now dumps between 300 million and 400 million electronic items per year, and less than 20% of that e-waste is recycled.
    2. E-waste represents 2% of America's trash in landfills, but it equals 70% of overall toxic waste. The extreme amount of lead in electronics alone causes damage in the central and peripheral nervous systems, the blood and the kidneys.
    3. Because computer processing power doubles roughly every two years, many old computers are being abandoned. Only 15% recycle their computers, which means the other 85% end up in landfills.


    Top Facts about the Human Body


    Here are a few things you might not have known about all different parts of your anatomy.

    1. The colder the room you sleep in, the better the chances are that you’ll have a bad dream. It isn’t entirely clear to scientists why this is the case, but if you are opposed to having nightmares you might want to keep yourself a little toastier at night.
    2. Tears and mucus contain an enzyme (lysozyme) that breaks down the cell wall of many bacteria. This is to your advantage, as the mucus that lines your nose and throat, as well as the tears that wet your eyes are helping to prevent bacteria from infecting those areas and making you sick.


    Top Facts about The Human Brain

    The Brain

    1. The human brain is the most complex and least understood part of the human anatomy. There may be a lot we don’t know, but here are a few interesting facts that we’ve got covered.
    2. Nerve impulses to and from the brain travel as fast as 170 miles per hour. Ever wonder how you can react so fast to things around you or why that stubbed toe hurts right away? It’s due to the super-speedy movement of nerve impulses from your brain to the rest of your body and vice versa, bringing reactions at the speed of a high powered luxury sports car.
    3. The brain operates on the same amount of power as 10-watt light bulb. The cartoon image of a light bulb over your head when a great thought occurs isn’t too far off the mark. Your brain generates as much energy as a small light bulb even when you’re sleeping.
    4. The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica. Or any other encyclopedia for that matter. Scientists have yet to settle on a definitive amount, but the storage capacity of the brain in electronic terms is thought to be between 3 or even 1,000 terabytes. The National Archives of Britain, containing over 900 years of history, only takes up 70 terabytes, making your brain’s memory power pretty darn impressive.
    5. Your brain uses 20% of the oxygen that enters your bloodstream. The brain only makes up about 2% of our body mass, yet consumes more oxygen than any other organ in the body, making it extremely susceptible to damage related to oxygen deprivation. So breathe deep to keep your brain happy and swimming in oxygenated cells.
    6. The brain is much more active at night than during the day. Logically, you would think that all the moving around, complicated calculations and tasks and general interaction we do on a daily basis during our working hours would take a lot more brain power than, say, lying in bed. Turns out, the opposite is true. When you turn off your brain turns on. Scientists don’t yet know why this is but you can thank the hard work of your brain while you sleep for all those pleasant dreams.


    Latest Earth Fact

    Earth and Mercury are the two most dense planets in the Solar System. This means that particles inside the planet are most closely packed together.

    Latest Lifestyle Tip & Idea

    Shop at and hold garage sales - this is a great way to reuse products.

    This Browser is not good enough to show HTML5 canvas. Switch to a better browser (Chrome, Firefox, IE9, Safari etc) to view the contect of this module properly

    Web presence created with sweetness from jf